• Max. 2 sec.
  • 17.92knots
Average speed
16.93  ( 17.42 17.25 16.85 16.69 16.45 )
  • 100 m run
  • 17.31knots
  • 250 m run
  • 16.69knots
  • 500 m run
  • 16.04knots
  • Nautical mile
  • 14.38knots
  • 1/2 hour speed
  • 0knots
  • 1 hour avg speed
  • 9.86knots
  • Alpha racing
  • 14.58knots
  • Distance
  • 25km
  • Duration
  • 01:04:27
  • Windspeed
  • 10 - 30knots
  • Wind direction
  • NW ( 270)

Thursday 27th January - Windsurf **** River Orwell at Levington – sunny periods.


Foil – 17.94 knot max, 16.93 knot ave., 9.86 knot hour, 14.38 knot mile, 29.82 km., 14.58 knot alpha.


Exocet RF AST 91 with Slingshot Hover Glide 76 with Tushingham Thunderbird 6.5m.


Was keen to make the most of todays forecast of a good breeze of a good breeze and much milder than of late, despite the fact the tide for the River Orwell was not ideal, low water at 12.12 and the wind from the NW not perfect either there were no other options so I headed over to the marina arriving just before 11 with the sun just breaking through:) There was a huge chain running the length of our parking area but you could drive over it so parked with no problem. With the wind a fraction cross off it was difficult to pick a sail but after setting up my foil board and walking it to the launch spot right by the entrance to the marina there looked loads of wind in the middle, lovely and flat too I decided to take a chance with my favourite Thunderbird 6.5. Even with the tide just shy of low launching was easy and you could sail straight out of the marina channel, I did have to wait for a yacht leaving the marina for a sail but I was soon out in deep water but at first the wind was too light, I even considered returning for my 8.5, in the end I was glad I didn’t as the wind built, gusting to 30 knots for awhile at the end! With the wind building nicely now and the sun out with just me, a few yachts and birds, I had two swans fly right overhead plus the usual geese with the highlight being a large flock of Avocets heading upriver, just amazing:) I had a few long runs down the river but the wind was particularly patchy so I on the corner sailing short runs practising gybing and got some good ones, it is coming along nicely now although I did go in the cold water a few times! It is definitely better with a smaller sail and rotational is the way to go for foiling! With the wind really getting strong now I started the short beat back and had made it back when my UJ broke right in front of the launch spot! The safety rope keep it attached to my board I quickly dropped my rig so not to damage my board and as I always carry a spare UJ I quickly replaced it but it was then my problems started as it is impossible to bend it enough to attach the mast!!! I noticed that I was drifting back towards the shore so sat there and waited till I reached shallow water. It was then that I noticed the small marina boat used to tow the yachts about was heading out to see if I was OK:) A very nice man then towed me to shallow water where I still had trouble locating the mast into the uj, there is no way you could do it out to sea in waves and will probably have to invest in a hinged uj now that bends to 90 degrees! With the mast eventually reattached I had a few more runs across the river but I was way overpowered now and there was a big swell running too so decided to call it a day and headed back. Fellow windsurfer Mark Swain arrived and we had a nice chat, he even sorted out my rescue beacon for me:) Looking like a day off tomorrow before another good day on Saturday, hopefully  a westerly but the temperature is going to be 12/13 degrees, should be good!


Best 500m